Carmin Blomberg

Carmin Blomberg

Tansi, Carmin Blomberg, nisîthikâson, Peter Ballantyne (Bear) Nêhiyaw Nation, Pelican Narrows Saskatchewan, ochi nitha.
(Hello, Carmin Blomberg is my name, Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation, Pelican Narrows Saskatchewan is where I’m from).

I am Woodland Cree and Norwegian Sweden Jewish through my father, and French and Scottish through my spirit mother. It is important for me to acknowledge myself as a whole, with all my ancestral backgrounds, especially as my role in reconciliation and an Indigenous Settler. As an Indigenous Settler; in my accountability as a visitor who does not intend on leaving anytime soon, I acknowledge my privilege of being born and raised on the lək̓ʷəŋən, Esquimalt, and W̱SÁNEĆ territories of the Coast Salish Peoples.

I identify as Two Spirit and my pronouns are She/Her/They/Them. I am an artist who focuses on painting, drawing, beading, sewing, and carving teachings taught from my Kwikwasut’inuxw Haxwa’mis brother from Gilford Island. My Kwakwaka'wakw siblings offered my initial understandings to Indigenous cultural teachings and continue to guide and support me as I reclaim my Woodland Cree ancestry. I am grateful for their guidance and unconditional love.
I am also a student in my final semester of my Bachelor of Social Work Indigenous Specialization Degree at the University of Victoria. I work with Youth, Elders, and Knowledge Keepers and as a Youth Board Member in community development projects centered on healing colonial violence and reclaiming identity.

As a multi-cultural Two Spirit young person, I work with and walk alongside individuals on their journey through interconnected traditional practices that center cultural resurgence and decolonial healing. Through restoration of traditional practices like beading, singing, and sharing circles, I weave together healing, relationality and cultural connections. To grapple with the nuances of reconciliation, I am passionate about honoring each and every individual wherever they are at on their journey. I recognize that each individual experience life from many intersecting lenses; this is at the forefront of my wholistic, land-based, art-based approach as I walk alongside people on their journey. With genuineness, humility, reciprocity, resurgence, reclamation, responsibility, and accountability, I seek to communicate from the heart and listen to guidance from my family, Elders, Knowledge Keepers, and spirit to carry myself and gifted traditional teachings in a meaningfully impactful way. By emphasizing the continual importance of our youth, Elders and community relationships, we learn from one another and carry forward ways of being that will reflect how one cares for themselves and each other for generations.

Kahkithaw niwahkômâkanak, (All my relations in Cree),

Carmin Blomberg
Maskwa (Bear) Nêhiyaw (Cree), Peter Ballantyne Cree First Nation
with Norwegian Sweden Jewish, Scottish and French Descent